Monday, February 1, 2010

Super Easy and Delicious Shepards Pie Recipe....

This is one of my new favorite things to make. I first made it a few weeks back and Everyone loves it, especially my husband. This is so easy to make and inexpensive. I love recipes that require few ingredients and even better things you already probably have in your cabinets.

A few things about this recipe..This was a recipe I found offline and changed alot to work for us. Normally with shepards pie you would just make mashed potatoes or used boxed but I like it this way much better, it's easier and tastes just as good if not better. I add more veggies as we I like it with more, 3 cans might be a little much for some. Also This makes a bit larger than a normal batch which is why I use a bigger pan. You may do a little tweaking to get it more to your liking, I only use 1 pound of ground beef as 2 seems to much and I like less beef, however with 1 pound it still has plenty of beef ( has to for the Mr. ). This feeds our family of 4 plus we have plenty of leftovers for lunch the next day and it's just as good.

Shepards Pie

1 Pound of Ground Beef
1 Can of Mixed Veggies ( frozen veggies work as well )
1 Can of Corn
1 Can of green beans 
2 jars of beef gravy
7 to 10 potatoes depending on size
1 package of cream cheese ( cut into cubes )
1 bag of Shredded Cheddar Cheese
3/4 stick of butter ( cut up into pieces )
Chopped onion or Bell Pepper Optional


1. Brown your ground beef in a skillet, I usually chop up and onion and cook it with the beef. I brown mine on med. low and start preparing the other ingredients.


2. Poke holes in your potatoes and cook them in the microwave. When they are done mash them up in a big bowl, add the butter, the cream cheese, a handful of your shredded, and  I usually add a splash of milk but you don't have to, it just helps to make it a little more mash potatoey. Also if you prefer you can peel your potatoes, I do sometimes but either way is just as good. Mash everything together and set aside.


Take a good sized cake pan, drain your ground beef and add to your pan, mix in the veggies and gravy and spread evenly. Now with your nice clean hands mash the potato mix into patties and spread over the top of your beef mixture. Then top with the rest of your shredded cheese and bake at 350 until the cheese gets light brown and bubbly. 


Yummm!!! Seriously good stuff! Enjoy!! I will add a picture this week, I made it again tonight but sadly forgot to take a before picture, we were hungry.





No comments: